Wednesday, July 20, 2016

From Iowa to Illinois

I have traveled so much the last four months that I am still behind on telling you about all of the places I have been to. Sometime in June, when I finally finished blogging about my vacation to Illinois in April, I teased you that there was another trip to Illinois which I would eventually get around to telling you about. I guess it’s time.

The first weekend of June each year is the annual Rhubarb Fest in Aledo. Who knew? And better yet, my brother-in-law and his wife live a short drive away. When they suggested we come down for it this year, we checked the calendar and Hubby happened to have that weekend off. There was no reason not to go.

It turned out to be a beautiful weekend. And here’s only the first half of it. 
 Crossing the Mississippi River at Dubuque.
Riverboat in the historic town of LeClaire, voted the best place to take out of town guests, so that's where we went Friday night.
The mighty Mississippi
 The Buffalo Bill Museum at LeClaire, where even handicapped bison can park, I guess.
 Saturday morning, it was only a short drive to Aledo, Illinois. Another quaint historic town.


 Note the fine print. This is the women's waiting room only. Back in the day they probably didn't allow transgenders inside.
The Mercer County Courthouse
 A special guest of honor, at the downtown Rhubarb Fest activities.
 Me and the Hubby
 The official Rhubarb sign just outside of Aledo.
 My brother-in-law. I don't know what this pose means.
 But his wife and I had to try it too.
Ahh, but this is what we went there for. The rhubarb pie!

No comments: