Sunday, July 17, 2016

Peace

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. 
John 14:27 (NIV)

I keep hoping that one of these days I will be able to write about the wonderful turn of events my life has taken, that suddenly things are all turning out and coming up roses, and that I have no more problems. Instead, I dread blogging anymore because all I have to report is more bad things happening.

Repairs on the vehicle we’ve had for two months cost us $2200, our washing machine is not working correctly, I shut my finger in the car door Friday, our popup camper is shot and not usable, we haven’t been able to find another camper and we leave for our camping trip in two weeks.

Can we get a break, Lord, just one tiny little break? And not a broken finger kind of break?

Yesterday our son begged us to let him take us on a pontoon boat ride. We just always have so much to do, or the weather’s not nice, or there’s always an excuse. But last night, we were finally like, ok, we’ll go.

It was a beautiful evening and I was reminded that as much as I complain about the town I live in, it is a beautiful place. We are surrounded by woods and water and wide open spaces. There is always a place to go to find peace. There may not be a place to find the money to pay unexpected bills or a magical healer of swollen fingers. An affordable, adorable camping trailer might not fall from the sky. 

But there will be peace. 

Lord, God, thank you for all that you have provided me with and help me to remember that peace is what I need most. Amen

3 comments:

Carol Stam Rehse said...

Chris, your post really hit home for me. Sometimes I just want to say, "Enough, Lord, enough!" Then I realize it isn't up to me. Peace, my friend, peace.

Denise D. Young said...

Yeah, sometimes when it rains, it pours. We keep getting hit with one unexpected expense after another. Dental surgery for one cat; an abdominal ultrasound for another; a special assessment from our HOA for building improvements. It's like we can't catch our breath. Ugh! I hope things brighten up for you, Chris. May you find, even on the most overwhelming of days, some sense of peace.

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thanks, Carol and Denise, for the support. It does seem like everyone is getting hit with so much stuff. Peace to everyone.