Sunday, October 1, 2017

To Submit or Not Submit

Wives, submit yourselves to your husbands, for that is what you should do as Christians. Colossians 3:18 (Good News Translation)

As a writer, I am always on the lookout for places to send my work to. When I find such a place – a magazine, a blog, a contest – I copy the link to their website into a file titled “to submit”. When I write a story, poem or article that fits their needs, I polish my work with that market in mind. I submit my very best.

According to Webster’s, the verb “submit” has two definitions. 1) To accept or yield to a superior force or to the authority or will of another person. 2) To present (a proposal, application, or other document) to a person or body for consideration or judgment.

I know that when the Bible tells wives that they should submit to their husbands, that the action asked for is the first definition. But maybe, just maybe, us wives could apply the second definition. Offer our husbands our very best, our finely tuned work. Not think about yielding to their authority. Instead, present them with our best efforts and best intentions. Our deepest love, affection, devotion. 

And here’s how I know this is God’s wish for us. The idea for this post came to me a few days ago. After I started putting it together in my head, it dawned on me that our 20th wedding anniversary is in just a few days. 

No, over the last twenty years I have not always submitted to my husband’s authority. And I haven’t even always submitted to him my very finest achievements. But now, thinking about this, I know that I can at least work on that much.

Happy Anniversary, Hubby. I’m there for you.

Lord, God, thank You so much for giving me Your very best when You sent my husband to me. Between You and he, I will always be taken care of. Amen
October 4, 1997
September 22, 2017
Man, are we getting old!

No comments: