Friday, October 27, 2017

What Pops Up in Your Hometown?

As I was driving to work yesterday, I was hit with the realization of the changing of the seasons. Sure, the temperatures have been around freezing every morning the last few days and the forecast is for flurries, even possible accumulations of an inch of snow. But what hits me every year is the morning I drive past the county garage and they have all of the snow plows out getting them ready for winter.

As I continued my drive to work I spied something else along the side of the road which got me thinking. You know how occasionally, often in the spring and in the fall, the city announces garbage pickup day, where you can put your larger items of junk at the curb and the city will pick them up? Or at any time of the year, you might see an item on the curb with a sign on it saying “FREE”, even though the item is just more junk where the possibility of you bringing it into  your home is about the same as bringing in an escaped convict.

Yesterday, I spied next to the road a baby carrier, no sign on it and no baby in it, at least I was pretty sure there wasn’t as I drove by at 29 mph. I wondered if it was an item at the curb to be swooped up by anyone desperate enough to adopt a total stranger’s baby carrier for their own child. Or had a sleep-deprived father forgotten it there when he lifted out his wailing six month old at some odd hour of the night?

I do not know.

I studied the streets the rest of the way to work thinking maybe I would see a third noteworthy thing. The only other entity, as I was pulling into the hospital parking lot, was the ambulance pulling out, its lights and sirens on. For the second day in a row. I have no idea what is significant about that, except that most ambulance calls are not for happy occasions. And we need a lot more happy occasions.

Snow plows, baby carriers and ambulances. I have no idea how any of them are related, except that they all pop up in my hometown. 
I didn't get any pictures yesterday morning. This picture is from November 4, 2014, same scene as I just witnessed. 

No comments: