Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Happy Independence Day

Good morning and Happy Fourth of July to everyone. I am sure that you have things to do today – hopefully fun stuff such as cooking out, setting off safe fireworks, watching parades or chilling by some sort of body of water. So I will make this short.

Looking back, I see that I have mentioned Independence Day in various posts, but never wrote about the history of the holiday. Of course, you all learned that in school and committed it to memory, right? Ok, maybe not all of it, but I am sure most remember hearing that Thomas Jefferson, for the most part, wrote the Declaration of Independence and that the colonies signed it on July 4, 1776. 

Well, it went something like that, depending on what you read, but as already mentioned, I am going to make this short. Here is what I really want you to remember today.

The preamble which begins with these famous lines, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

I’d like to reprint the rest of that preamble here, or a paraphrase of it. I actually found a version of the Declaration of Independence online in “modern day language”. I’ll leave it to you to look it up and read it. As with anything that is paraphrased, there is a certain amount of interpretation, which veers from the original sentiments, which is why I won’t post it here. (I need to stop writing, don’t I? So much for keeping this short.)

What I really want to say is that if you are a citizen of these United States of America, your government was formed to allow you to have these rights and freedoms, along with all of your friends, neighbors and enemies. You may not agree with these people on everything, but you have to agree that they have the same rights and freedoms as you do. And we need to be respectful of that in what we say and do. That’s all folks. 
Hubby and I went to southeast Wisconsin this past weekend. We weren’t planning on driving through the state capital on the way home, but I see now why we did. As many times as I go past the state capitol, I never tire of it. To me, it is a symbol of Freedom.

No comments: