Friday, July 6, 2018

My Train Ride

 On Sunday, I shared a random picture of me on a train, with the promise that I would get around to sharing the rest of the story. So here it is.

 Last Friday, Hubby and I went down to East Troy to visit our son. Saturday morning, while the son was volunteering at a car show, Hubby and I headed over to the East Troy Train Museum and Depot. The East Troy Railroad Museum is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational corporation with a mission to preserve the rail heritage of Wisconsin and America. Its rail line runs between Mukwonago and East Troy and is the last remnant of The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light interurban rail system.
 In the early nineteen-hundreds, The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company operated over 200 miles of track in Southeastern Wisconsin, providing freight and mail service as well as public transportation. By the 1930s, highways throughout the country were improving and more people were driving their own vehicles, which meant a decrease in passenger service on the railroad. Eventually, the need for freight service also waned. All the other lines were eventually abandoned, but the people of the city of East Troy fought to keep the segment from Mukwonago to their town. Over the years all service ended, except for the passenger cars which carry tourist and train enthusiasts along this track.
 Hubby and I jumped on one such rail car for the short journey to the Elegant Farmer store in Mukwonago. The train would be back to pick us up in half hour. As we were entering the store, the son called and asked where we were. I obliged and, within what seemed like only a few minutes, the boy showed up, having driven the six miles from East Troy. Hubby and I took our few purchases to the checkout, where he thought I should check on the status of our train. It was in the station, boarding.

I told the son to let his step-dad know that I was jumping on the train and heading back. I felt bad that Hubby missed the train, but at least the son was there to give him a ride back to the depot in East Troy. I figure that gave them some male-bonding time and I got some me-time.




Back at the Depot with the son. All is good. 
You can read more about the East Troy train by clicking here. 

No comments: