Wednesday, September 19, 2018

2018 Camping Post #4 - A Long Day

So, back to our July vacation . . .

On Wednesday of the week of our camping trip, the plan was to take a ride up to the Keweenaw and make some purchases from our friends the monks at the Jampot. My planning led me to believe it was a two hour drive up there, so even with making a few stops we should be there by 11 or 12. Well, I was sure wrong about that.
Our first surprise stop was Van Riper State Park.
They have this Warrior Water Island thingy, water obstacle course out in the lake.
Way cool, but you have to swim out there, plus they charge by the hour to use it.  
I was pleased to find Sacred Heart cemetery practically next door.
Wandering around a cemetery is much more my kind of thing.
Took way too many pictures there. Of course.
Then we ran into this.
And this.
And this.
So it was after one o’clock before we got to McLain State Park, where we ate lunch. But the Jampot was still waiting for us when we got there.
I had hoped to drive around more of the Keweenaw, but the road work and other delays had gotten the best of me. After one more look at Lake Superior, we were ready to head back to camp.
I showered and cooked supper. We were just sitting down outside trying to decide if we wanted to make a campfire when we heard a strange noise. The hubby was befuddled by it, but I knew right away what it was.
The brightest spot in a somewhat tiring day.

1 comment:

Beth Camp said...

Thank you, Chris, for sharing a bright memory of a beautiful sunny day with unexpected treats (and a few road blocks). May the fall be good to you.