Sunday, October 14, 2018

Trust in Him for Protection


Psalm 37
34 Wait for the Lord’s help
    and follow him.
He will honor you and give you the land.
    And you will see the wicked people sent away.

35 I saw a wicked and cruel man.
    He looked strong like a healthy tree in good soil.
36 But he died and was gone.
    I looked for him, but he couldn’t be found.

37 Think of the innocent person.
    Watch the honest one.
The man who has peace
    will have children to live after him.
38 But sinners will be destroyed.
    In the end the wicked will die.

    He is their strong city in times of trouble.
40 The Lord helps them and saves them.
    He saves them from the wicked
    because they trust in him for protection.
(International Children's Bible version)

Today I wanted to write about the horrible weather we have all been experiencing. Not only the weeks of rain we have had here in Wisconsin, but also about the latest hurricane to batter our east coast. On top of that, there are tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes wreaking havoc all over the world.

I tried looking for an appropriate Bible verse, one which would sum up all of this. I couldn’t find just the right one, so I gave up. I thought I would resort to my list of Bible verses that I already have in this file and just pick whichever one inspired me today. Earlier this summer I had been posting the rest of the verses from Psalm 37, planning to finish it out sometime.

I read these lines and went “ah-ha.”

I picture the wicked man in verse 35 as being the hurricane – all strong and mighty, fearless and instilling fear in others, plotting a course of destruction. But this wicked man cannot last for long. God will destroy him and save those who cry out to Him.

Reread the lines above. Do you see the correlation too?

Lord, Father God, be with all those who have suffered from the recent calamities our weather has brought on them. Help them to see Your perfect Will in all things. Amen.

No comments: