Friday, November 29, 2019

Thanksgiving Present

     As you know, if you read Wednesday’s post, or live pretty much anywhere in the northern half of the US, we woke up to this the day before Thanksgiving.
 Luckily, I had just turned off the water and was drying off after my shower, when the power went out. At first I thought Hubby was goofing with me and had reached in and flipped off the light switch. But it only took me a second to realize that the heavy snow on the power lines, along with the wind, had cut our electricity. Almost everyone living outside the city limits was without electricity all day. As I write this, many are still without.

 Hubby took me to work, as none of the side roads had been plowed. Which means he picked me up after work and I could get a nice picture of these two who have survived both the snow and the deer hunting season. So far. 
 I took a few pictures around the yard, but the light was waning, so most of them aren’t clear. Except this one, of the tree which actually broke off in a storm this past spring. Interesting that I got this last picture of it in this state.
 Around 8:30 Wednesday, while we were huddled under blankets, reading in the living room, thankfully with the generator running and giving us enough power for lights and an electric heater, we heard a crash and a bang. 
 Not sure if this will make it easier or harder to clean up. The problem is that I’m not sure if it will happen before the snow melts now. 
 The snow is pretty though. Even artistic.  
 As Hubby and I were lying awake in bed around three yesterday morning, we were pondering how we were going to cook Thanksgiving dinner for fourteen people with no electricity. We have a gas stove, so we could do some cooking, but we might have to skip the green bean casserole and the baked beans that we heat in crock pots. We were pretty sure that having that many people in the house would generate enough heat to keep everyone warm. But it was just the inconvenience of the whole thing.

 Hubby had just declared that if we didn’t have power by six am that we would start calling people and cancel Thanksgiving. Just like that, the lights came back on. Sent God up a huge thank You.

 Around the table, in a warm house with too much hot, freshly cooked food.
 My brother had already left when we got around to a family photo. My dear friend Julie snapped it for me. Thank you, everyone, for showing up. Wish you would have eaten more! Leftovers!

No comments: