Saturday, May 28, 2011

Just Accept the Good Stuff While You Have It


The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3 (New International Version)

A week ago, we received some fantastic news. My husband was offered a full-time job, the first one in nearly nine years. In 2002, the factory where he had worked for over 20 years, the place he had planned to retire from, shut its doors. Since then, he has worked several part-time jobs, plus been my incredible housekeeper. Then a week ago last Friday, he got the call we’d both been praying for.

As if that weren't enough, my son finally got the letter which I had been praying for. UW-Platteville awarded him his bachelor’s degree. I don’t know why it means so much to me, probably because I so badly want my bachelor’s degree, or just because so few people in my immediate family have their college degree (is there anyone?). In any case, I am so proud of him and wish him the very best. Now he just needs to get out there and get on with his life; he has so much to offer.

I want to just bask in this happiness. Praise God that things are finally turning out for us. Then those nagging thoughts creep into my mind. Something bad is going to happen now. What is it going to be? When will the other shoe drop? I try to force that negativity out of my head, but it’s either me or just plain human nature to not be happy just being happy.

Heavenly Father, thank you for all of the goodness you shower down on us. Help me to be more appreciative of all the gifts you have given. Let me accept today for the beauty it holds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often wonder if cats or dogs have a consciousness of yesterday or tomorrow. We all seem to struggle with living in the "NOW". It is hard to perceive a "storm" or "struggle" as a gift but in it own way it is. Yesterdays regrets tend to compromise todays joy, tomorrows worry steals from the happiness of the moment. Thanks for the reminder accept the good stuff while you have it. I like that. RC

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thanks for the input. One of my biggest struggles is worry - why is it so hard to just "let go and let God"?