Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Blank Page


“I can fix bad writing…I can’t fix a blank page.” Nora Roberts

One of our speakers at Green Lake Writer’s Conference shared this quote. It kind of reminds me of a saying by another famous person, Henry Ford. “You can’t build a reputation on what you’re going to do.”

Whether you are a writer or not, you still have to do SOMETHING. It doesn't have to be creative, it doesn't have to be seen by a lot of people, but no matter who you are, you have to do SOMETHING. Maybe you sew or exercise or clean the house or cook complicated breakfasts for your three-year-old twins every morning. But don’t just sit there doing nothing. Just start, start doing whatever you want to do or need to do. You may not start out doing it well, but the more you work at it the better you will get. And no matter what mundane thing it is, you might begin to like it or even discover new ways to do an old boring thing.

But whatever you leave behind, don’t leave a blank page. 

3 comments:

Susan Marlene said...

Oh Chris!! It has been forever since I've been really looking around at other blogs or doing much FaceBooking! Mostly I'm writing so I think that is fitting with the do SOMETHING! How are you? I found a card I bought you.. I need to look up your address and do SOMETHING with that too! Ha ha Blessings my friend. I've been thinking about you!

Denise said...

I have started to knit baby blankets, my hope is that the blanket survives the baby years & becomes the favorite blanket they cuddle when they are sick or use with dolls or stuffed animals. I have also started knitting scarfs to donate to my companies scarf/mitten tree. It makes me smile as I see it making someone happy that they have something to keep them warm & just the right color of course. Sorry for the long post.

Chris Loehmer Kincaid said...

Thanks, Sue and Denise, for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad to hear that I have friends who are up and at it each morning, making a difference.