Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Another Recipe - FUDGE

I don’t know what has come over me. Here I am posting a second recipe less than a month since the popcorn salad episode. Part of the reason has to do with my oven. It hasn’t been working right in probably six months, but I’m going to save that whole story for another time. The only reason why I bring that up now is that I haven’t baked anything in I don’t know how long. It finally got to me and I had to make some kind of dessert.

I saw this recipe for fudge online a couple weeks ago and thought it sounded good. The problem is I have made fudge probably three times in my adult life and it never turned out. Everybody’s like “fudge is so easy to make, try it in the microwave, you can’t screw it up”. Yea, well, fat chance. I still screw it up every time.

So, I put that all behind me and tried it again. Maybe I’m mellowing in my old age and can actually cook something on the stove for the prescribed amount of time. Or maybe I finally found the fudge recipe that works.
 Three Ingredients Butterfinger Fudge:
3 cups Candy Corn
1 cup peanut butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups white chocolate chips

First off, though, the recipe I followed claimed there was only 3 ingredients in this fudge. I’m confused. Which item do you think they weren’t counting? 

Anyway, it said to line a pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. They recommended a 9x9 pan. I didn’t have one and couldn’t decide between the 5x10 and the 6x8. Luckily I had them both at the ready, coz once I started pouring the fudge in, I decided one pan was going to be too thick so used them both. One hadn’t been lined yet with foil, so I just sprayed it quick and as you’ll see at the end, that worked just fine too.
 Add Candy Corn and peanut butter to a medium saucepan and heat, over low heat, stirring every 30 seconds or so, for about 3 minutes. I stirred it almost constantly and have no idea if it was three minutes. See, this is why I can’t make candy, I can’t follow instructions.
 Add the sweetened condensed milk, continue stirring over low heat, another three minutes. Last, add white chocolate chips and stir until everything melts together. (It will seem like it’s never going to melt...but it will!) It seemed like it melted pretty quickly too me, at which point, I thought, “I screwed this up”.
 Spread evenly in pan. Cool on counter about 15 minutes, then chill until hardened. Cut into squares.  I think I actually followed this to the T. Except again, I never time anything and as already mentioned, the one pan wasn't lined with foil.
 If you want, you can dip the fudge in milk chocolate. Melt chocolate chips (you can add a little vegetable oil to thin them) and dip the bottoms of the fudge squares in the chocolate. Set on a wax paper lined cookie sheet to harden. I got a little sloppy at this point, but whatever, I call it creative. And the pans and utensils all cleaned up like a dream.
 Ta-da. I can now make fudge!

No comments: