Friday, February 23, 2018

Celebrating Birthdays on Flashback Friday

 I’m still slowly working my way through boxes and albums of old photos. I fluctuate between Mom’s and mine, never knowing which set of pictures is going to produce the best gem next.

 When I came across this one, I knew I’d stumbled on a rare diamond. I’ve never seen this picture before, don’t know why not. But I love it. It is my sister Pat’s eighth birthday and I am clearly showing my devotion. The girl on the left is our childhood neighbor, Nancy, but I have no clue who the girl on the left is. I’m also not sure where it was taken, certainly not at our house, but possibly at Nancy’s. From the spread of food on the table, there must have been more than the four of us in attendance. 


 This was of Nancy’s birthday. I know it was taken at her house because that vehicle behind us is the “white van” which was what her mother drove us – and others – to school in. Because there weren’t many kids on our route at the time, this was the actual school bus we rode. It got a little crowded at times. Once, as we were driving down Highway 8, the hood came unlatched and flew off. Scared us all to death. Craziest thing. 

 Pat’s birthday in 1971. Apparently, no party that year. So much to see in this photo. The orange Crush soda, the seventies décor kitchen. I should have cropped Mom’s orange backside, but hey, it is what it is. 
 My birthday that same year. That’s Nancy again, on the left, and my cousin Jodean on the right. I had wanted to be a ballerina when I was in kindergarten, but I’m pretty sure that was no longer on my list when I was ten. 
 Six years later with my friends from high school. And another spread of food. 

 Aren’t these great? Being the bad mom I was, I don’t know if I have this many pictures from my kids’ birthdays. Or they may still be in the bottom of one of these boxes (the pictures, not my kids).

 Have a happy day and a happy birthday - whenever it is.

No comments: