Wednesday, February 7, 2018

What Safari Camp Would You Stay At?

            It’s been quite a while since I’ve shared an excerpt from “Where the Sky Meets the Sand”. I’ve been trying to find pictures from my own travels to Kenya which would fit one of the scenes. Since I have the whole story already pictured in my head, sometimes it’s harder than one would think for me to find the right actual photo out of the thousands I’ve taken.

The camp was so small—three large tents, two small ones, a cement block outhouse, and a cement block storage building—that it took only a few minutes for a tour. Jenny found their large tent comfortable, though rustic. A full-size bed took up the majority of the room. Nightstands flanked each side of the bed and each stand held a small battery-operated lantern. Across from the bed stood a small dresser on which a pitcher of clear water, a large basin, and two sealed bottles of drinking water waited invitingly.
She poured a small amount of water into the basin and splashed it on her face. The hand towel hanging from a bar on the side of the dresser was soft and smelled of fresh air.
“Think you can handle this for a few days?” Paul asked, trying out the bed. “No running water, no hot shower?”
            “It will be fine. It will be an adventure.”
            The crazy thing is that I wrote this scene sometime between my first and second safaris. The first time I went in 2006, we stayed at a luxury camp with running water, electricity and all the amenities of a five-star American resort. It was nothing like the camp where I imagine Jenny and Paul staying. After writing their story about Africa, I went on my second safari in 2015, and we stayed at Manyatta Camp, where these pictures were taken. I felt much more at home there, but it still wasn’t as rustic as what Jenny and Paul experienced. My dream would be to actually camp out on the African plain.  Maybe next time I’m there! 
            Let me know if you want to take a life-changing trip to Kenya. In addition to going on safari, you will have the chance to change the lives of those living in poverty. This coming weekend we will begin planning this year’s trips with Tumaini Volunteers. You don’t want to be left behind!

            (But if a trip to Africa is just not on your bucket-list, you can still read about the adventures Jenny and Paul have while they are there. Click here to get a copy of their story.) 

No comments: