Friday, February 9, 2018

Flashback Friday - one year ago and many years before

I was going through all the old family photos, trying to decide which ones to post and around what theme. I’ve come across a lot of pictures of my mom, what a beautiful woman she was, a dedicated mom, wife and sister. A year ago today, they discharged her from the nursing home and we took her back to her apartment, where I stayed with her round the clock (with lots of help from my brother and sister) through the weekend. Two days after being home she realized that she just couldn’t make it on her own anymore and two days after that we admitted her back to the nursing home. Another two days later she was admitted to the hospital where she died within hours. Weird how that all came down. Seems so long ago already.

As everyone in the family knows, she hated having her picture taken. I mean, it is legendary how much she despised it. I’m surprised I found all the good pictures of her that I did. I guess she wasn’t always photo-phobic.

Sorry, Mom, to post these all. (The only picture from her past that she told me she really hated was her senior portrait, so at least I will honor her by not sharing that one.) 
1929 with her sister Helen
1935, the back of the picture reads "me with Billy S from Milwaukee"
1940s, when she was still in high school 
not sure when or where

1946 with her Pa, Ma, Brother Robert and Sister Helen (Mom's on the right)
1948 with my brother Tom and sister Judy
1949 with Tom and Judy 
1952 with Judy and Tom again 
1959 with Tom, Judy, Dad and baby sister Pat
1968, finally a family picture of me (on the lower left), my sister Pat on the lower right, then Dad, Judy with her baby Paula, Tom and Mom 


No comments: