Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Coming to the Clinic - part 2

Last Wednesday I started writing a goofy little series on how to be a star patient when you go to your doctor’s appointment. Last week I filled you in on who all the people are who you might meet on your visit. Today, I still don’t have you quite to your appointment.  

Because, you need to do some things beforehand.

     1)     Call for your appointment. This seems like a no-brainer. Like who can mess this one up, right? Sure. Yesterday, I made an appointment for myself, over the phone, with a new provider. Before I called, I made sure I had my insurance information and my calendar, even though I ended up on hold for about five minutes before a real person answered. When someone finally picked up, I knew what I wanted and when I wanted it, but was also open to options.
     
      When you make your appointment, have realistic expectations. The person on the other end of that phone really is trying to get you a time, date and provider that works best for you, but sometimes the stars just don’t align. If you can only make it at 10:00 next Tuesday, you are going to have to see whoever is available. Or if you only ever want to see Doctor Dreamy, you might have to wait until next September.

     2)     You’re leaving today’s appointment and are willing to make your appointment for next year. These patients always fascinate me. Who knows what they are doing a year from now? But, God bless them, I love those people. Thing is, things do change and if that appointment suddenly no longer works for you, give us a call as soon as you can to change it. We have other patients who would be happy to take your time slot if you aren’t going to make it.
    
     3)     Walk-ins. I suppose this shouldn’t be under the “before your appointment” heading, coz here you are wanting an appointment right now. All clinics are different. Some embrace walk-ins, others have a strict policy against it. A lot of clinics wish they could take walk-ins or same day add-ons, but their schedules just don’t allow it. You need to find out what your clinic’s policy is and try your hardest to adhere to it. Yes, of course, things come up and no matter what management says, your provider might be able to squeeze you in, but don’t count on it and don’t begrudge them the right to have a life and turn you away.

     What, by the way, is a legitimate reason to walk in to your clinic and ask to be seen ASAP? Again, that is going to vary from clinic to clinic. At one time, our clinic tried Advanced Access, this model where any patient could get in to see any provider pretty much any time they wanted. I never figured out how that could possibly work, but some supposed expert said, yes, it will work and here’s how. Needless to say, hmm? I don’t remember if it even worked for a week by us. But I digress.
       
      Simple, acute illnesses, like ear aches, sore throats, a gouty toe, all might easily be worked into your  providers’ schedule. A shoulder that’s been hurting for three weeks and today you decide is the day you want it to be checked out? I wouldn’t count on being seen the same day for that. If it’s been a problem for a couple weeks, a couple more days won’t matter. Likewise, if you woke up this morning with a stuffed-up nose, there is not a darn thing we are going to do about it. You have a cold, or maybe allergies, and you need to give it some time.  
    
4    4)     Incidentals. (I cannot believe I spelled that right on the first try.) There are so many other things, such as making sure your insurance covers the clinic as well as the particular provider you are seeing, finding the clinic, finding a parking spot, finding someone to drive you there when your car breaks down, how much you will be appreciated if you have taken a shower and are wearing clean clothes, and so many other things that I can’t mention them all. One thing though, which will be an entire episode down the road in this series, is to bring an updated list of every medication you are taking or even bring the bottles. Since this is a whole topic of its own, I won’t elaborate now, but just know, it’s coming.

Come back next week and I might actually have you checking in for your appointment.
When you call your clinic, give the people on the other end a break, coz you never know what kind of phone system they are dealing with. 


No comments: