Sunday, June 21, 2020

God Will Establish Your Plans.


1 To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue. 2 All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the Lord. 3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. 4 The Lord works out everything to its proper end— even the wicked for a day of disaster.
Proverbs 16 (New International Version)

Three years ago, I finished writing my latest novel. I’ve worked on it, off and on, since then, going over it with a fine-tooth comb, sending it to agents and publishers, having it professionally edited. The book is as good as it’s going to get – not that it is ever going to be the “Great American Novel” – but the story is what it is.

I decided a few months ago that I would just self-publish it myself on Amazon. There are so many pros and cons to that, but you don’t want to read about that. Just know that for anyone who considers themselves a writer, self-publishing is not the first - or second or third - path to take.

Once I came to this decision, I continued to drag my feet, until it dawned on me that the story begins on the Fourth of July, so wouldn’t it make sense for me to release it to my readership (all ten of you) around that time. Which means, I need to get it together.

I spent many hours the last two days working on formatting it, as well as designing the cover. Then, late yesterday afternoon, my laptop took a dump. And no, I hadn’t backed up any of the work I had been putting into this novel.

It’s another whole story of how I came to read the verses from Proverbs 16, but there they are. God’s clear message to me.  

I went to church last night and then out to eat. I was going to put my novel and my ailing laptop out of my mind. Things were going to turn out for the glory of God.

5 The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. 6 Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the Lord evil is avoided.
7 When the Lord takes pleasure in anyone’s way, he causes their enemies to make peace with them.

I got up this morning, and slowly began my day, avoiding the temptation to jump right on my computer to see if it was working.

When I finally bravely turned it on, it powered right up and worked fine. Joy and happiness. Praise God.

Then the warning signs began. I grabbed a brand-new thumb drive that I had laying around and slapped my novel with its revisions plus cover concepts into it. Turned my laptop off once again and walked away.

9 In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.

God has got this taken care of. One way or another – well, I know which way. His.

(Oh, and also, thank You, God, for the desk top computer we have at our house.)

No comments: