Sunday, May 26, 2019

More a Martha than a Mary

While Jesus and his followers were traveling, Jesus went into a town. A woman named Martha let Jesus stay at her house. Martha had a sister named Mary. Mary was sitting at Jesus’ feet and listening to him teach. Martha became angry because she had so much work to do. She went in and said, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me alone to do all the work? Tell her to help me!”
But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are getting worried and upset about too many things. Only one thing is important. Mary has chosen the right thing, and it will never be taken away from her.”
Luke 10:38-42 (International Children’s Bible)

For the month of May, I’ve been sharing Bible passages of interactions Jesus had with various women.

I think that most of us have heard these lines, and many of us women think to ourselves, “well, someone has to do the work! I guess it’s gonna have to be and I’m not gonna get any help.” And in the case of Mary and Martha, Jesus isn’t even any help.

I think it’s a good lesson for us with type A personalities or obsessive-compulsive tendencies.  I know that would be me for sure.

But then I read this Bible verse. “The poor will always be with you, but you will not always have me.” John 12:8 (ICB)

Does the house have to be clean? Does the table have to be set with a myriad of different delicacies? Does the grass have to be mowed? Can’t the laundry wait one more day? Where should our priorities be?

With Memorial Day coming up tomorrow, we are reminded that our loved ones aren’t always going to be with us. Spending time with them always needs to be our priority. The only higher priority is spending time with Jesus. 


No comments: