Friday, May 3, 2019

Spring Vacation 2019, Day 4

After driving through a few rain showers, we arrived in Virginia Saturday afternoon, April 13. It had been a longer drive than I had anticipated. I wish we would have had more time to sight-see on the way down, but I guess that will be for another trip, one probably after I’ve retired.               
We stayed the first two nights with my mom’s cousin, in her adorable guest house. She was a gracious host, just as I remember from the times I was there as a kid. Well, okay, except maybe when I was there as a kid, what I remembered more were things like the peacocks.
On Sunday, we drove over to the navy base in Norfolk, where my niece’s daughter is stationed. She loved showing us all around the base.
 From planes to aircraft carriers . . .
 To the floating hospital
To battleships  . . .
 Even to subs.
And finally to the Naval Base Mermaid. 
After she had shown us pretty much everything there was to see on the base, including the PX, which was like a luxury mall where we probably spent to much money, we drove down to Virginia Beach for lunch.
 Unfortunately, the weather didn’t cooperate all day, but we just kept telling ourselves that it was better than snow.

No comments: