Wednesday, May 29, 2019

When life hands you lemons

   A week ago today, at three am, our power went out. During the previous month, we burned up two sump pumps, as well as losing power for a few hours, so on three occasions this spring I had already been holding the water at bay in my basement.

Last Wednesday morning, however, with the wind blowing and electricity out in most of our area, I didn’t hold out much hope that we could stay on top of the water flow until Public Service got to us.
 After bailing water and hauling it up the stairs and outside for three and a half hours, we realized that this was a battle we couldn’t win. Hubby and I had to get to work and the basement would just have to be on its own. 
 
But not before I heated up several kettles of water. Thank God for a gas stove.
 
Coz, when life throws us lemons, we make lemonade. Or take a bath by candlelight.  
The basement was a mess when I got home from work, but we had already pulled up anything which would get wrecked, so it was just a matter of getting the water out. 
But then Hubby brought home a new addition to the family. I’ll call her Miracle. She only ran for two hours – but she was pumping out that water with all her heart – before the power came back on at 9:30 that night.

I nearly forgot to mention there was another causality from the storm. Not sure when we’ll be able to get that taken care of.
And my life continues to be a barrel of laughs. Check back in on Friday. 

No comments: