Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Chances

Last chance to blog about my quick trip to southeast Wisconsin back in November. 

Actually, when Hubby and I were there last February, our son took us out to eat at Chances restaurant in the quaint village of Rochester.

The building, built in 1843, was originally known as The Union House and had been a stop on the Underground Railroad. The building is reportedly haunted by seven ghosts, including one referred to as a lady in a green ball gown waiting for her Civil War soldier to return.

When we ate there last year, we didn’t see any apparitions, but the food was good so it was still worth the trip. I always did want to return, though, to get a look at it in the daylight.

You know me and my love of old buildings.

I think most of us have heard of other towns named Rochester, mainly in New York and Minnesota. Straddling the Fox River and located in the shadow of the town of Hartford, this Rochester was settled by settlers from Rochester, Vermont. Interesting, huh?

Or maybe not.

But only a couple miles down the road near Army Lake – well, you have to admit this collection of gigantic candy corn does catch your eye

No comments: