Sunday, January 17, 2021

Trust in Modern Medicine

    The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore, my heart greatly rejoices, and with my song I will praise Him. (Psalm 28:7, New King James Version).    

This past Friday, I received my first COVID vaccine. I’m not gonna lie, I feel somewhat guilty about it. As a healthcare worker – who maybe doesn’t treat COVID patients directly, but crosses paths with them on nearly a daily basis – I made the cut, I’m on the first-tier list.

I’m also not gonna lie about the amount of anxiety I had over this. We’ve been told that two vaccines – one from Pfizer and one from Moderna – have been approved for use against the COVID virus. Yet, the fine print I received on Friday said that the shot I was receiving (from Moderna) is an unapproved vaccine that may prevent COVID-19 and that there is no FDA-approved vaccine to prevent it. The FDA has authorized the emergency use of this vaccine under an Emergency Use Authorization. Did you all know that?

But I really want to save that discussion for another time – there is just too much. And I always rather spread inspiration instead of science on my Sunday blog posts.

So, here’s the thing. I trust in my Lord and God. I trust Him to keep me safe and healthy and I also trust Him to guide the scientists and doctors who are making these vaccines. For people who don’t believe in modern medicine because they fully believe that God is the Great Physician – well, I can’t deny that is who He is. But I also believe that He had His hand in the discoveries which modern medicine has made.

Which is why I placed my trust in God, took the plunge, and got my shot.

Lord, God, Heavenly Father, thank You for guiding our medical community in fighting this pandemic. Continue to support them in their efforts and allow this vaccine to truly be safe and effective. Amen.  



No comments: